Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 2011 - 2012
- Stanford-affiliated county hospital internal medicine program.
- Member: Quality Improvement and Ethics Committees.
University of California at San Diego (UCSD), 2005 - 2011
Doctor of Medicine, MD
- Recipient of the Weiss Medical Research Scholarship for research in Preventive Medicine (2010).
Yale Law School, 2007 - 2011
Juris Doctor, JD
- Editor and Submissions Editor: Yale Journal of Law and Technology & Yale Journal of Health Policy, Law, and Ethics.
- Recipient of the Kirby Simon Fellowship for International Human Rights Work (2008).
Emperor's College, 2001 - 2005
Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine, MTOM, Summa Cum Laude
University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), 2000 - 2005
Bachelor of Science, BS, Summa Cum Laude
- Selected as one of six UCLA Seniors of the Year (2005). Recipient of the UCLA Alumni Association Distinguished Bruin Award Scholarship (2004) and the Michael C. Dunn, M.D. Memorial Scholarship (2004).
- Highest Departmental Honors and College Honors, Member Phi Beta Kappa (2005).
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Summer 2002
Foreign Language Immersion Program (Mandarin Chinese)
University of Surrey School of Law, 2016 - Present
Professor of Law and Health Sciences
- Director of Research (Impact).
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2013 - Present
Adjunct Assistant Professor
- 2013–2015: Visiting Assistant Professor.
- Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research (GIM/HSR).
Southwestern Law School, 2012 - 2016
- Teaching Areas: Torts, Health Care Regulations, Patent Law, and Global HIV/AIDS Law.
- Co-Director of the Summer Law Program in Vancouver at the University of British Columbia.
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), 2009 - 2012
- Provided "expert services" under special service agreement to create text on documentation of traditional medical knowledge.
Medicines Transparency Alliance (MeTA), 2010
- Conducted study on the effects of intellectual property in Jordan on access to medicines. As international consultant and lead researcher, managed Jordanian-based national team, developed study design, conducted data analysis and drafted report.
World Health Organization (WHO), 2008 - 2010
- Directed stakeholder survey for the World Health Organization Project on Improving Access to Medicines (including Vaccines and Diagnostics) in Developing Countries through Technology Transfer and Local Production.
- Created strategy document on Traditional Medicine Implementation of the Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property for the WHO Secretariat on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property (PHI).
- Assisted with organization of the first WHO Congress on Traditional Medicine, drafting of the Beijing Declaration, and negotiation in intergovernmental meetings.
UCLA Center for East-West Medicine, 2006 - 2010
- Managed research team, developed study design and survey instrument, conducted literature review, networked with medical school educators nationally to administer survey, supervised and performed statistical analysis, and drafted report.
- Drafted grant applications to the National Institutes of Health (R03, R21). Drafted publications, including text on integrative medicine, articles on the healthcare crisis, herbal medicine regulation, and pre-medical education reform. Represented the Center at international conferences and worked as a teaching assistant in undergraduate courses.
Health Research For Action (HERA), 2009
- The Caribbean Community (CARICOM), with a grant from the International Development Association, employed HERA to conduct an assessment of the status of patent legislation and regulation in CARICOM Member States.
- As one of the principal consultants in this project: analyzed intellectual property legislation, rules, and policies in each country; conducted interviews with relevant stakeholders at the country and regional level; recommended legislative and policy changes to improve public health.
Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP, 2009 Summer
World Health Organization (WHO), 2008 Summer
Intern, Department of Technical Cooperation for Essential Drugs and Traditional Medicine
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
Solicitor in England and Wales (non-practicing), 2017 - Present
- Solicitors Regulation Authority ID: 641240
Diplomate, 2014 - Present
- American Board of Legal Medicine (ABLM): 61114-838
Physician, 2012 - Present
- California Registration Number: A122515
Attorney (Esq.), 2012 - Present
- California Bar Registration Number: 281641
- New York Bar Registration Number: 5053673
Patent Attorney, 2011 - Present
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO): 68178
Licensed Acupuncturist (L.Ac.) (inactive), 2005 - Present
- California License Number: 10803
- Diplomate in Acupuncture (NCCAOM): 27937
Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Peer Review College
Academic College Reviewer
Judge Paul R. Michel Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, 2014 - 2016
Valley Community Clinic, 2013 - 2016
Board of Governors
- Member of the Board and Member of the Medical Affairs Committee.